Friday, August 13, 2010

De-busifying my life

In the past couple days, I've been in Newton, Amherst, Craftsbury, Stowe, Weston, Amherst, Newton, and Amherst. I'm starting to think that this tiredness in my legs might not just be from the adventure race. I sat down with a calendar this morning, and looked at the fall, and realized, I have every single weekend until December filled with some sort of event. I suppose this is what you get when you want to compete in several sports, but, this is not healthy. It is time to make my life less busy, and instead of feeling rushed trying to fit school!/thesis!/work!/coaching!/Ed!/training!/race directing!/cyclocross!/family!/orienteering!/running races!/mapping! into every day, it might be time to actually set some priorities, make some choices, and not get involved in EVERYTHING that comes my way. These aren't easy choices though. I know I should prioritize Ed and family over everything else, but all too often, those top priorities get squashed because there is just so much fun stuff going on that if I slow down for a minute, I'll miss something.

Logically, my focus should be on orienteering this fall, both because of my goals in the ski orienteering champs this spring and because that is what I am physically preparing for. The US classic championships are coming up in mid-October, and if I look at my training over the past couple months, its been almost all running and orienteering, as opposed to the last two years where it was rollerskiing and cycling. But, I don't think I can go through an entire autumn in the northeast without racing 'cross, even though I'm not prepared to race a bike of any sort. Again, tough decisions. Maybe racing bikes will help my running. I should really just re-enforce the travel diet, and actually stick to it, except for the part where I'll still be driving to Newton on weekends. This is just ridiculous, but I can't stop...

I need to just pick 4-6 cross races and accept that I will not be blazing fast. Then I should prioritize the weekends where I will STAY HOME, no matter how much fun stuff is going on in other states... damn it, world, could you please get less interesting for a little bit?

No comments: