Thursday, April 5, 2012

Early spring

It's barely the first week of April, and the sugaring season is already over - Ed headed to VT tonight to go pull his taps already. Spring came early this year, actually I guess winter just never happened. Winters like these mean a lot of driving, a lot of stressing about time on snow, or lack thereof, a lot of general moroseness about the gray nastiness of a weather that won't act seasonal. Not my favorite. The one thing this winter was remotely good for was running training - I'm heading into this spring's orienteering season with more miles under my feet than ever before, for this early in the season. I guess that's a good thing, but it probably just means that my usual overuse injuries will crop up sooner than typical. I guess this winter was also good for ticks - they're predicting much higher occurrences of lyme disease this summer; not what you want to hear when you spend a lot of time in the woods.

Christer Malm, a contact of Ali's, took some photos of the ultra-long, in Boden. Don't I look like I'm having fun? I bet this was on the fourth lap =)


I entered, and got in to, the Mt Washington road race this June. I don't know why I was quite so excited to get in, because I have a niggling feeling that it may actually suck, a lot, to run up a 12% grade for 7.6 miles. Why was I so excited? Tell ya what, though, I am SO getting a Vermonster, and attempting to finish the whole thing on my own, when that race is over!

Totally unrelated, I was cleaning and organizing some stuff on my computer and found a cache of photos from New Zealand in 2005, and that place is so beautiful, I felt I should post some of the photos up here. Enjoy!

The Takitimu mt range.

Same view, different light.

Sunset on the Coromandel peninsula.

Rainbow over the mountains by Wanaka.

Milford sound.


Lake Wanaka.


Lake Wanaka.

Looking inland at Kaikoura.

A beautiful place, but plenty of clearcuts to go along with the majestic views.

Boulders on moeraki beach.





Hobbit-land.

The snow farm.

Franz Joseph glacier, or at least where it used to be 30 years ago.




No comments: