Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Nobscott Night-O


How to make orienteering even more crazy?  Do it at night!  I feel like a few years ago CSU was doing a lot more night training than we have lately, but part of that is the major movers and shakers have either moved away or decided other things are more important than orienteering training, and moved on with life.  So, less actual forest training these days.  This showed quite blatantly when I raced last Saturday, because I was just very unfocused and sloppy.  I took 71 minutes for a 5.4km course (running ~8km in the process, mostly in circles I think).  Without mistakes I think I should have been closer to 53-55 minutes, but I'm not really into playing the woulda-shoulda-coulda game.  It should have helped that I'd designed the course and put out the controls, but I think all that did was make me over-confident and sloppy in my orienteering.  I hear it helps to look at the map.



As you can see from the map above, I had a major disaster on both 9 and 11.  Both times, the disaster was related to ignoring my direction, and not clearly looking at the map before moving forwards.  Although it's embarrassing to orienteer like a total goofmuppet, it's also good to get a kick in the ass occasionally.  I didn't orienteer for most of August or September, and that showed.  I'm motivated now!  North Americans are around the corner, so it's time to get focused!
Results

No comments: