Thursday, September 18, 2008

Boosting my road rage immunity

We're finally into my favorite time of year (some might think my favorite season would be winter, but really, the only truly good thing about winter is snow--and if the snow could be not-cold, it would be so much better!), and this morning's ride was an arm-warmer-knee-warmer-gloves sort of ride. But it was a nice ride. It made me realize how much I actually like living in Boston (I never thought I'd say that), because once you cross I-95, you really do have nice riding. I started out in Newton, residential, sleepy, quiet roads. Got to Wellsley and it smelled like sewage mixed with diesel exhaust. Weird. The cars started to come out to play, mostly they were playing nice. Looping through Weston, Wayland and Lincoln, the sun is coming up, and takes the edge off the chill; I can feel my fingers again. I pass by beautiful little [wicked expensive] farms, the dew glistening, the mist rising. Do you ever ride past something and think to yourself in a Martha Stewart voice, "that is just SO new england!" ? No, me neither. A couple of those moments, everything looks shiny when its covered in dew and the sun hits it right. And we all know how I love shiny things...

Sets you up for a nice day, a ride like that does. Boosts your immunity to the jerks on the road.

Speaking of jerks on the road, I don't know how many of you know Rose Long--she went to Colby her freshman year, and skied and rode bikes, and then transferred to UVM where she rides bikes and goes really fast. Unfortunately she was recently in a REALLY bad hit-and-run up there, broke her wrist, her jaw, her eye orbital, chipped a vertebrae, and lost 12 teeth, among other injuries. So, if you have $5-10 to spare, go to www.roselong.com and donate money, because we would all want people to do the same if the situation were reversed.

Ride safe...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Were you wearing Colby gear this morning? I could have sworn I saw you on 2A...

-Miriam (Thomp's special lady friend)

Alex said...

yeah, I was all Colby-ed up this morning. I don't think I saw you, but I did have the sun in my eyes... you should have said hi!

Unknown said...

I was riding the opposite way on the other side of rt. 2A...just as I realized it might be you...you were gone...and so was I. It was funny reading your post because on my ride to work that day I kept thinking about how lucky I am to have such a beautiful commute....there was all this crazy mist and nice lighting...and then you wrote about the same thing.

Jamie said...

Its good to know that others see good stuff when they are working out...mist and all of that. Usually I'm on the train to work and I see mist on a pond in Wakefield and think about how nice it would be to be in my kayak slicing through that mirror like water and parting the mists...... but today I was out for a long skate roll and smelling the wild grapes and feeling the turn of the seasons....it was a good day to be alive!