Monday, August 3, 2009

Weddings and macroinvertebrates

Friday I found myself at the Friends of Alewife Reservation office helping out the Summer Ecology Institute - Arlene, one of my [ex-] colleagues, does a day on benthic macroinvertebrates each year at this camp, and I was helping her out with the kids. The plan was to identify dead bugs in the morning and then find our own live bugs, worms, and leeches in the afternoon. Unfortunately, we were rained out in the afternoon, but the kids had a great time identifying the samples in the morning. I had fun with that too, but would have really enjoyed walking around in the muck turning over rocks.

Saturday was Callie's wedding, which was beautiful - on the coast in Maine, and they served lobsters, it doesn't get much better than that. I ran into Pat Dean there, he's back in the states for the summer after teaching physics in Jordan all year, and he basically arrived in NYC and bought a bike and thats how he got to Maine. He wanted to get to upstate NY, and I was heading to Lake Placid, so after dropping Ed at the train station sunday morning, I picked up Pat somewhere on the road near Brunswick and we headed west. Which brings me to my current location - the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid, for the SR/U23 ski camp. I'll keep you updated...





No comments: