Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bogburn

I got back from nationals on friday afternoon, and didn't feel like I'd had enough racing yet, so headed north to the Bogburn. In retrospect, mabye that wasn't such a great plan, because I felt like a real zombie all day on Sunday, even today I still feel a little sluggish. Regardless of how I felt, though, I had a good time up there. I'd never skied Bob's trails, and they're great! Old school beyond old school, I don't think you could hold a skate race on those trails, they're that narrow. Constant transitions, hairy downhills, gradual striding uphills, man that was a good course.

I managed to not keep track of time, and came in from testing some wax, saw that I had five minutes, and decided to touch up my already-good wax job. Doh. Time flew, and suddenly I was panicky trying to get to the start. I grabbed my garmin but forgot my gloves, contemplated skiing without gloves, decided that was a bad idea, ran back to the wax table, exchanged garmin for gloves, and sort of made my start. I mean, I started out on the course before the girl 15 seconds behind me started, but I didn't have poles on, yet. I was walking, trying to figure out the new exel straps (first time using those poles), and I heard someone say "slowest start EVER". I look over and thought I saw a Stratton kid, and thought, "I don't even KNOW you, who are you to insult my incompetence?" So I said "shut UP" rather forcefully, and then immediately felt bad about yelling at some J2. turns out it was Colin, so I don't feel bad anymore.

Once my poles were on, I started racing. The girl 15 seconds behind me caught up to me, as I was still in flustered-mode, then I came out of that mode and smoothed it out a little, passed her back, caught the girl ahead of me, then Erika Flowers and Sophie Caldwell caught me, and I should have maybe tried a little harder to ski with them, but that hurt, and not having pre-skied the course I didn't know how long that hill was going to go on but I didn't feel like blowing up if I wasn't near the top of the hill. Not the most competitive spirit I've ever been in, but I was having a good time out there, and I didn't care too much about the result, since I didn't expect much from it. Its a good thing I didn't care, because I got beaten by a lot of people I normally wouldn't want to get beaten by. I did not win the spandex...

Tonight, tuesday night smackdown. Its on, my threshold workout vs. your race...

3 comments:

Colin R said...

Hey! I said "PRO-est start ever!"

I guess when you make up words you get misheard.

Luke S said...

In fact, they used to hold a skate race there. Before the trails were even as sweet as they are now. It used to be a two event pursuit, then it alternated, then it was only classic.

Jamie said...

Oh yeah, and that two even pursuit, 10km each, was MURDER! You'd die in the first race and then come back and really go down hard in the 2nd race, and the course was harder then, Bob has gone soft the last few years (thank god) and made the course more skiable.