Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Exercising

I like to be active, moving around, doing stuff outside. This is no surprise to anyone who knows me. But I find this a separate quality than that of being an athlete. To be an athlete, in my mind, you need to have a purpose to your playing outdoors. You need to have a plan, with goals, competitions, results. Otherwise, you're just a very fit individual. I think there are a lot of fit individuals out there, but not so many true athletes. Its not an elitist thing, I'm not sure its even a good thing, its more of a mindset. There is something extremely obsessive-compulsive about the focus with which athletes pursue their goals. Sacrifices are made. Maybe thats the biggest difference between athletes and regular fit people, the sacrifices. Honestly, I think I'd rather just be a fit person, but I'm not wired like that.

Still, its nice, once a year, to back off from being that obsessive "athlete", and just to go exercising. For the sheer love of endorphins. It won't last, though. I'm already itching for a training plan, for structure, for racing.

I ran hills last night. It was pretty painful, but I had friends. They ran faster, but thats alright, I wasn't far back and I'll catch up once I get the hang of this running stuff again. It was fun, to feel my legs flooded with lactic acid and my lungs burning. Unstructured, unplanned, unnecessary intervals, maybe I am a lunatic...

No comments: