Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My brush with fame

So, I got on the T last night, and found myself standing next to this guy with a pedros bag and a Minuteman Road Club waterbottle. Normally, when I see clues like this, I get excited and ask if they ride bikes and they usually don't and I feel like an idiot, so I decided to not say anything. Then I noticed those black lines on his waterbottle that you get from sliding them in and out of cages, and figured he's GOTTA ride bikes. He said he rode, but didn't race much anymore, he did a lot of announcing. We started talking and it turns out he had announced at the Weston sprints last year, and knew my name through 'cross. I found out today that this was apparently Richard Fries, and he's famous, at least in the cycling world. But, I talked to a famous guy! Moving up in the world, oh yeah.

And then I almost put pepper in my coffee because someone put pepper packets with all the sugar packets at work. Some things don't change...

3 comments:

gewilli said...

someone who doesn't recognize Fries on sight?

granted i might not be able to recognize Joel Brown in a crowd. A line up? yeah but not in that situation...

CTodd's more famous though, and you know him. ;)

JB said...

"You know what they call this guy?"
"No, what."
"The Mailman. You want to know why?"
"Yes."
"Because he delivers the PAIN!"

I swear he said that at Sea Otter last year.

Who's Joel Brown?

gewilli said...

joel is richard's tag team MC at most big cross events...

G-ster and what not... both RI events and Nats...

prolly a few more...