Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chilly morning on the Connecticut

I'm currently borrowing Phil Bricker's kayak until it gets too cold to paddle or my knee fixes itself, since he says he isn't using it much these days. I picked it up from him yesterday, made sure I could get it on my roof alone (not as easy as it sounds when you're a short person), and this morning took it for a splash. It was 36F this morning, which made for some chilly mists on the river, but it was absolutely beautiful. I took along Ed's old iphone, which, while it does take photos, hardly does justice to the mix of sharp details and soft mist and different depths of light that I was observing. It was a beautiful morning, but I forgot how much the paddle drips on your head, and I also forgot how much shoulder strength it takes to hold that paddle out in front of me. Oof.



You mean I gotta sit in that hard plastic thing and possibly get wet??
Like an impressionist painting.

Great visibility.


Personally, I wouldn't swim in this river this far downstream... but I guess with many of the upstream mills closed, its not so bad.
Mist burning off.

Can you find the Merganser ducks on the tree? Also saw a Great blue heron, but couldn't get the camera out in time for him.
Its a big river.

No comments: